Thursday, August 27, 2009

Week 3- My experiences with communication technologies

When i think about just how much communication technologies surround my everyday life i awaken to the realisation that technology has evolved so rapidly over the last decade or so. my first significant encounter with communication technology was when i was given a nokia mobile phone for my fourteenth birthday. I have to admit back then it was called a 'brick' rather then a mobile. I used to use it mainly so that my parents could contact me when i was at a friends house or a party. Back then mobile phones were the most popular way of communicating with each other now it all evolves around the internet.

Social networking has become a phenomenon of the 21st century, with sites such as facebook, myspace and twitter to name a few, all in which are based on building social networks. over the past two years i have used both facebook and myspace to communicate with friends, family and work colleagues. It is a great way to stay in touch with everyone and updated with what their all doing. Now i know that it is not that important to know what people are doing every second, minute and hour of each other but i have to admit i do like other people knowing what i get up to!

In terms of privacy i am careful with what information i choose to include and i never put up anything that i wouldn't want the public to see. Personally, phone texting is the best when i want to send a message only to particular people .However i honestly think people should be more aware of the privacy issues surrounding these sites before putting up photos and personal information. I myself have not got any friends on my facebook and myspace who i have never met before in person. I much rather have met that person because if adding a complete stranger there is no guarantee they are who they say they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment